[Userscript] Attempt to Eliminate Phantom Entries

I wonder if that’s why I have old definition bugs, like partially ( brackets. Or like, sometimes when I accidentally forget switch to commas rather than tab in bulk addition.

@SarahWeaver6, Yes, that sounds like it might be why :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @neoncube

I’ve tried the script today but the phantom entries are still there. I’ve deleted a whole level recently, ran the script several times (which all of the entries turned green) and tried the course. But most of the answers still came from that deleted level. Any idea on how I can fix them?

Hi @Cikinnad,

I believe Memrise draws possible answers from the course’s database, not directly from the other levels, so if the level was deleted but the entries in the database weren’t, then I think that could cause this issue :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yea one example is when it was drawing answers from a sense deleted course section (I’m going to be bringing it back at the end of the course) and the fictional history of how the language developed.

Specifically how French and Japanese ran together in the US.

So you’ll have things like: the great fire that started the rebellion, presented as an answer to what Le Orenji is.

Because oranges and mutinys, absolutely related.:smiley:

Thanks @neoncube :slight_smile:
Still trying to sort things out. So many unwanted old entries in my course database

No problem :slight_smile:

I actually wrote a script a while ago that goes through and deletes unused entries in a course’s database. If you’d like me to run it on your course, just add me as a contributor :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hi @neoncube,

Since yesterday I get a lot of errors while running the script.

Encountered an error posting a column’s new value.

Just a few entries become green and then it gets stuck. Both on Memrise and on Decks.
Any ideas?

1 Like

Same here! Tried several times yesterday, always received that error message.

1 Like

Oh, I thought it was just me. Exactly the same thing. Tried both in firefox and chrome in memrise and decks. I always get “Encountered an error posting a column’s new value” after a few lines. I think I have encountered this problem around Thursday.

Awesome script by the way. I often have to alter previous entries and was drowning under more and more phantom old values before I found this script. It really solved my problem. After correcting a bunch I just ran this script and everything was fine.

Thank you, @neoncube!

1 Like

I hadn’t trained in my conlang a while (adding in new pronoun use cases at the moment), so phantom entries are still a problem?

They make me laugh sometimes, but it’s definitely a nuisance.

I’m actually surprised there aren’t more, as I have four columns in my conlang: Hafestra, English, French, Kanji, and Phonetic Spelling.

Please would @MemriseSupport consider creating a Creator/ Contributor’s button to eliminate phantom entries by reselecting alternative answers.

So many of us have encountered this problem and I’m afraid I’m not into Scripts.

It’s a shame that what seems a simple task isn’t made available as a feature on the edit screen.

Cc @kevin5284 @MemriseMatty

3 Likes

Sorry guys; I’m not sure when I’ll have time to fix this. I took a quick look into the issue, and it looks like maybe the Memrise backend changed and is now erroring out because of how quickly the script tries to update entries.

2 Likes