TOCFL—Traditional & Simplified (No Typing) by LBV_1806-20

Course Forum

hi,

this 好吃 means delicious, tasty, good to eat (not “fond of eating”)

好像 = as if, as though; to seem like

倒 … dǎo =to fall; to collapse; to topple; to fail; to go bankrupt; to change (trains or buses); to move around; to sell; to speculate (buying and selling, also 捣); profiteer// dào = upset; turn over; to tip; to pour; to go home; to the contrary; inverted

gracias, danke

Yes, you’re right. The “fond of eating” version has a different pronunciation. Same characters but the hao is 4th tone.

好吃 hàochī to be fond of eating; to be gluttonous

I’ll change it to “tasty; delicious” as per the Yellowbridge definition. Thanks for the correction. Sorry for the delay. I haven’t been using Memrise for while. Hope to be here more going forward.

Actually I added the PinYin and definition of that second meaning, given that the meaning does use the exact same characters. I added it the following way:

hǎo chī | hào chī 好吃 tasty; delicious | to be fond of eating; to be gluttonous

Changed 好像 to “as if; to seem like,” as per the Yellowbridge definition.

Changed dǎo, as per the Yellowbridge definition, to the following:

to fall; to collapse; to overthrow; to fail; to go bankrupt; to change (trains or buses); to move around; to resell at a profit

And I changed dào, as per the Yellowbridge definition, to the following:

to place upside down; to invert; to pour; to throw out; to move backwards; however; actually; as a matter of fact; contrary to expectation

Thanks for the contributions!

I have been ploughing through the levels for a week or two now. Unfortunately there are many repeats in later levels of words found in earlier levels

In fact whereas it says that superior levels start at 5400 or so, there is much very elementary vocabulary instead

Are the repeats the same sense of the word or a more obscure sense of the word? Please post examples so I can look into it.

Well I noticed the repeats when I was doing the earlier levels, so it is hard for me to go back and search them out. I am now ploughing through level 49.
BUT I just looked at level 63 for interest sake. The words there are really basic and clearly are not ‘superior’ and in fact surely have occurred earlier. For example, just a few of them from the middle: 血, 血管, 行人 西方 作 吻 etc etc etc

I believe the list is pretty much directly from the Steering Committee for the Test Of Proficiency. I got it here http://www.davidpetersson.com/tofcl-the-complete-list-with-english-definitions/. I know I ran into repeats when preparing the list but I think they were different senses or forms of the word. Sometimes a word has a very commonly used definition and less commonly used definition. Go have a look at it. That is how it looked before I made any modifications. I may have added in more advanced definition to the first occurrence of the word. I’ll take a more thorough look at the list when I have some time. Thanks for letting me know.

Hi

I don’t understand the “Superior’s level”. There are many repeats from earlier levels of the simplest words. I took a look at the complete list page http://www.davidpetersson.com/tofcl-the-complete-list-with-english-definitions/ , and found many repeats. Just one example(!): I searched for 現代 which occurs twice, early on and in the superior set. By the way you say that one could download the speadsheet but the page seems to contain an in line table

It does appear two times but for two different meanings. Some words have more than one meaning and, presumably, one meaning is more common than the other so it should appear earlier in the learning process. The list separates the individual meanings of a word. If two meanings happen to have the same spelling, the spelling appears twice. Take the word “smart.” The word “smart” would appear very early in an english course to mean intelligent. But it would also appear much later to mean hurt.

I have found a few that do duplicate with the same meaning. I will delete those.