The new Memrise App layout and colours are too aggressive

(Lawrichai) #1

My Memrise App just updated on my phone and its new colour scheme is hurtful for long sessions. It also makes it almost impossible to study in a dark environment.

The white background, the yellow accents and the general saturation level of the colours makes studying really unpleasant.

I use this app on a daily basis and I don’t want it to become a tiresome activity due to eye strain.

Please, work with ophthalmologists and optometrists if you’re looking for a new design for your App. Obviously, your last graphic designer is not using your App or he/she would not have chosen those colours.

Please, take the ocular health of your subscribers to heart and resolve this issue.

Thank you for your time.

(Amanda Norrsken) #2

Could you post some screenshots, please?

I have seen screenshots on another thread and the colours seemed quite insipid so I am rather confused now!

(Vikestart) #3

More screenshots would indeed be helpful, to get a more complete impression of the changes. :slight_smile:

That being said, I definitely agree with it looking to be too bright, which will make it very hard to study in a dark room/place. I spend most of my time studying in a dark room, it’s the most comfortable to me, but I can imagine looking at the screen with such a “bright” design will exhaust my eyes and make me lose focus. :thinking:

(Lawrichai) #4

There you go.
Sorry I didn’t thought of adding it right away.

(Gloomy Banana29) #5

My Memrise App was updated too, and I agree. It’s awful. The colors of the different kinds of training are the same. It absolutely spoils the whole idea. The previous look was stylish. But now…
And these colors are really painful for the eyes. I tried a few times to train, but each time get a headache. It was my favorite language app, and now I can’t use it.
I’m really upset by these “improvements”.

(Masha) #6

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the new design, especially highlighting how it feels when you use it in a dark environment and we’re sorry to hear you find using the new version unpleasant.

We released it to a small group of people in order to understand what needs to be improved before announcing it to everyone. We’re going to discuss your feedback next week and we’ll see what can be changed to improve the experience.

UX Researcher at Memrise