Thanks to @Charles_Applin35 for mentioning this. I think this deserves its own topic: http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Subs2srs
If learning in context is your thing (and it should be), this is an invaluable help.
subs2srs is a small utility that allows you to create Anki import files based on your favorite foreign language movies and TV shows to aid in the language learning process.
This utility will parse through a subtitle file, extract the dialog and timing information, and then use that information to generate audio clips, snapshots, and video clips for each line of dialog. With all options enabled, a card will have this information generated for it (assume that it is a Japanese movie):
- Textual line of Japanese dialog (taken from the Japanese subtitle file)
- English translation (taken from the English subtitle file)
- Audio clip
- Video clip (You would not normally want to generate an audio clip AND a video clip, this is just an example—and video clips mostly just waste space)
- Tag information (for Anki import).
- Sequence marker (episode #, line #, and timing)
- Context Info (previous and next lines)