Showing an additional column's content on Android

(Olaf Rabbachin) #1

I have recently extended somebody else’s course with a column containing a more or less literal translation for the vocabulary provided. I’d like to display the column’s content after a user has answered a question. IOW, establish the identical behaviour that Memrise uses in their official courses.

I went ahead and tried this out with a test course I created myself. It works perfectly fine in that course, both on the web and on Android devices.
However, in the “real” course, the literal translation only shows up when using the Web application.
From what I can see, the columns’ definition seem to be identical.

Can anyone shed any light on how to properly amend the column?


P. S. It is extremely obnoxious that only the original course creator can create and change columns. Even worse, there is no error message when a contributor attempts to change or add anything. Instead, nothing will happen. Lost me some hair!

Attributes and How to make information display after testing
Attributes and How to make information display after testing
(Olaf Rabbachin) #2

Ping? @MemriseSupport?

(DW7) #3

Hi Olaf, you are right, only the course Creator can add or change things on columns (although Contributors can add information to existing columns).

A solution to this issue is something we have been asking for, for a long time (even before this new forum was set up.)

It is particularly a problem when the creator is no longer around.

See this thread for a possible solution - but the creator may have to tick the boxes!

(Olaf Rabbachin) #4

Cheers for the heads-up, DW7!

I amended another course (again not created by me) yesterday, only to find out that the change was visible when using the web, but not in the app. In this course, I added gender information to many words, so the info was not in a separate (new) column, but rather in the original column. So I searched for reasons and/or work arounds. I soon found threads where people were experiencing the same thing, and the one way to work around the problem on Android was to log out and log back in again. This in fact worked for both courses, so I now see the literal translation column on the other course as well. A bit sad because I’ve now finished the course where the lit. trans. would’ve been very helpful, but at least I can see it during the repetitions.

Hence my hint:
If you change a course and if you’re intending to use it in the app (Android, possibly applying to iPhones as well) and your changes are not visible, log out of the app and log back in!
Just re-downloading the course (for offline use) didn’t do the trick for me. Logging out means that you loose all your downloaded courses, but since you can re-download them I suppose it’s the lesser of two evils.