Pronunciation lessons

(Jedmckenna) #1

Hi. I am having a problem with the pronunciation lessons in the latest version of the Android app. Every time I attempt a phrase, it says it’s wrong. Every time. Maybe I’m just really bad at pronunciation, but I feel like I’m getting at least some of them correct. The app plays back my recordings just fine.

This is happening in Japanese 1 and Japanese 2.

(Jedmckenna) #2

Is anyone going to respond?

(Eugenio La Cava42) #3

Same problem here…

(Isharr) #4

I can absolutely in no way help with this issue, but I am here to commiserate (so you know someone’s listening, even if they’re not anyone important). I’m Scottish, and what you describe is basically what happens when I have to interact with any piece of voice recognition software ever. Very frustrating.

I’m surprised none of the actual important people (mods/developers, etc) have come to respond. Though they may get snitty at me for saying so, support’s a bit wonky for Memrise.

I hope your problem gets solved. Japanese is hard and knowing if you’re pronunciation’s on the right track can only be helpful.

(Amanda Norrsken) #5

Something you can try out instead of memrise:

1. Open Google Translate and put on the microphone;
  2. Start speaking in the language you are trying to learn how to pronounce;
  3. Watch the words appear on screen :slight_smile:

It works for me if I speak Swedish to it, at least. When my pronunciation goes wonky, it starts writing rubbish :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Check out the website “Audacity”. I haven’t used it myself yet, but apparently it is BRILLIANT for helping you perfect your pronunciation.

(Isharr) #6

That first is a pretty good idea. I hadn’t thought of that… though I imagine, as ever, it will find me unintelligible if I ‘try’ to speak English, lol. Might do me some good on my French, though. If I can make my mic work, that is.

When you say Audacity, I assume you’re not speaking of the open-source audio editor? I can’t think of anything else with that name. Do you perhaps have a link to this pronunciation aid? You do not want to know what even a weak-accented Scot trying to speak French sounds like (like I’m drowning in a bowl of chunky soup, probably).

edit: I should go to bed (even though it’s not even eight yet). I just tried to flag myself and delete my word-vomit just reaching for the pencil icon. Clearly the dumbs have me now…

(Jedmckenna) #7

Thank you, I’ll try that!

(Jedmckenna) #8

Are any mods going to respond to this?

(Isharr) #9

I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you.