Please could Contributors looking after Abandoned courses have more powers

A long time ago it was stated that Contributors could do everything a Creator could except delete a course.

When we realised this was not possible, MemRise staff kindly agreed make changes we couldn’t eg to rename columns, change testing (eg untick typing) and even more importantly ADD columns to the database.

(Many of these functions look like we can do it but when we go to add or save, nothing happens.)

x-Many-x Some of us have asked if Curators or Custodians of Abandoned courses could have these powers to save contacting yourselves - especially as you are so busy and will not be focusing on Decks.

Cc @kevin5284 @MemriseSupport
Please could you pass this request to the most appropriate person.

2 Likes

I find this surprising. How many people?

Just out of interest, how often is it necessary to make such fundamental changes to someone else’s course as adding/renaming columns or changing testing directions? Do many users of abandoned courses request such changes? The basic permissions are enough to correct errors, make updates and add new items/levels or images/audio files. Anything more than this would effectively be transferring ‘ownership’ of the course. Is that what you are requesting?

In the main forum thread on this topic, Kevin recently said:

“Some of you have also requested increasing the permissions of contributors. This isn’t on our roadmap at the moment, but if that changes I’ll let you know.”

1 Like

Hi AlanH (and for Kevin’s benefit)

Just out of interest, how often is it necessary to make such fundamental changes to someone else’s course as adding/renaming columns or changing testing directions?

We can duplicate levels and change testing direction, so that is not an issue.

On many of the courses I have taken on over the years I’ve thought of extra information that could be displayed (I know some people like to add extra information on language courses to help avoid confusion) or tested on to enhance the scope of the course rather than starting from scratch with a similar one, but if the spare columns have been stripped away to only what is necessary then this can’t be done. Also if there are spare columns, then it is nice to have the title matching the function of that column.

Thank you for finding that response from Kevin. (Could you attach a link perhaps, please?)

Here’s the link:

Many thanks - I didn’t realise or hadn’t remembered that was also tucked in there at the end.
(I thought perhaps it had been posted as a reply to that request somewhere else)