I’m trying here. I’m really trying. However, ill conceived decisions like this are making me question that effort.
It’s been almost 1 year since I began creating a large set of courses for people wanting to learn Japanese using your site. You might have noticed it since it’s the most accessed thread on your forums by a factor of four. Literally hundreds of hours has been spent creating, uploading and using those courses. I actively promote this content and by extension your site to others on various social platforms. Why do this when I could spend a week on Anki and have almost the same material?
- Edits I make to Memrise courses are seen by all
- There’s a forum to discuss the courses directly
- The Memnote feature allows users to provide extended assistance
Now let’s look at the problems
- No more shared Memnotes. Destroys the hours of work I spent uploading 1200 Memnotes for users of my Kanji courses
- Loading audio clips is still manual meaning I have to spend 5 hours uploading clips for a 500 item vocabulary/sentence course.
- Columns are fixed meaning no reorganization without destroying what’s already uploaded
- Cannot bulk update meaning adding a column with new information or editing an existing column would be tedious after creation.
- No direct link to the discussion forum.
I get that I’m only one user among tens of thousands and one content creator among hundreds and that within only a language among dozens of categories. Still, I’m a patient man. If it’s bothering me it’s bothering other much, much more.
TALK TO YOUR CONTENT CREATORS AND USERS!!!
I get that if you tried to get consensus on everything then nothing would get done. However, removing such a vital tool without warning is the opposite extreme. Memnotes, as people are pointing out, are great because they are shared. It crowd sources notes and explanations that exceed anything one person hope to create. For those that memorized to write THOUSANDS of kanji via Remembering the Kanji website can attest that shared stories (that site’s versions of Memnotes) were vital to that.
You made a horrible decision today. Consider adapting that decision. Here’s some options if you want to still moderate what’s shown:
- course creator and contributor Memnotes are visible
- member memnotes are visible
- membership can opt in to see all
- people followed Memnotes are visible
- must manually click “make visible” on each individual Memnote
There are bound to be others to mitigate the problem of user generated items. However, don’t basically torpedo the entire system. Work to improve your site, not destroy it what makes it great.