Memrise is dead. Let's get together and build an alternative

site-feedback

(The Four Gated Danzig) #184

You’re right. The team sucks. Case in point: to my knowledge, no one even responded to problems posted in the forum last week. I also agree about the site become more of a chore to use. I don’t know why this has happened, but I’m glad I’m not unique amongst veterans feeling it.

(khx333) #185

I think I said this before but it’s worth repeating. Memrise needs a decent-to-good evangelist that reads this forum and responds.

(Datascience) #186

Is this true?

If so shall we organize on GitHub?

I’m a Machine Learning Data Scientist, but I also took a little C and Java at Berkeley. If I can help please count me in.

If they do abandon the app then we should have an organized community group to request and host any and all parts of the site that they will open source.

(Evgenia Karunus) #187

You should decide if you all want the same thing out of the new site first of all.

I, our of despair with memrise, already created a site that I’m finding immensely useful (memcode.com).
However it doesn’t have, for example, a meme feature, because its first and foremost goal is not to help learn languages, but to help learn complex (and preferably self-created, after reading a book) topics (maths, physics, programming, linguistics).
I also refused to implement a timer feature for the same reason.

Do you want an exact copy of what memrise used to be a couple of years ago?

(Lurajane) #188

You are replying to a user whose last post occurred 13 months ago.

(Thomas Heiss) #189

@kik4444

If you use the category filter and select the language, you can still review ALL courses in it.
A blue water review button will show ALL words across ALL courses - of the same language category.

However, it is missing: To display what course the word/phrase/sentence is coming from.
My Portuguese courses miss often synomys, or the offica Memrise 1-7 courses use a fixed sentence construct, that, when typing, may be fixed to a specific course from their series.

Not knowing what course a word/sentence is coming from quite often makes a typing review even more complicated.

This is the reason why I do not use the language filter reviews at the moment.

(Reblroses) #190

italki.com is a little like that.

(Cathyc) #192

The desktop version is so much better that one can scarcely compare the two. However, following this debate 2 years later, I note that there is an enormous problem with Chrome, which I’ve reported and surely others have too, where no audio works. The fault if you like is google’s, but I assumed that memrise would be responsive to a reporting of it, whereas in fact they aren’t.

(mahir) #194

If you want to make an alternative, you will need to know:

1. HTML: it is the fundemental building block of a website.
  2. CSS: it is essential to use it to design your website.
  3. Javascript: it is the used to deal with inputs, and user actions, etc..
  4. SQL: You cannot make login systems or anything to do with databases without SQL..
  5. PHP: It is more effective than JS dealing with user input and can interact with SQL but is less intgrated than JS.

Currently Memrise’s only big competitor is Duolingo and it’s disadvantage is the lack of an Arabic course, and less control over your learning. This is probably why Duolingo is focusing more on Asian languages and developing Arabic.

If you want to reduce competition:

Make sure the website is fast and simple to navigate.
Don’t overly focus on design and animations.
Give users as much control over their learning as possible (offer many settings)

(khx333) #195

A large part of the problem space is synchronizing between database and clients. It’s not an easy task, most of Memrise bugs are related to this.

(mahir) #196

The only real way to fix is it by investing more money into hosting a bigger server or making their sql code more efficient.

(Jimmyloi92) #197

Sorry I don’t know if I’m violating any rules by trying to introduce my app here. I read the guidelines but it doesn’t say anything about that.
Since everyone here looks for an alternative, I have an app that is similar to Anki but it only focuses on learning vocabulary. It’s called Ulangi. It’s a free app. I put a lot of effort on the architecture (build carefully) to make it cheap to maintain and scalable so nobody has to worry about whether it will disappear one day. It has many features: Spaced Repetition, Quiz, 2 mini-games, built-in dictionary, … It also has auto-syncing because I plan to make an desktop version in the future.
The app is available on both iOS and Android.
Here is the website: https://ulangi.com
I posted on reddit before and received many feedback so many new features are coming soon.

(☄✨MemriseMasterSherwi✨☄) #198

Wait, so Memrise will be deleted?

(Ian) #199

For a few months now, I’ve been very worried about the available total points supply running out, but this sounds so much worse. Everyone could lose all their current points!

(Jarmanso7) #200

For those who still believed in Memrise, now it came this migration to decks nonsense.

(khx333) #201

I think there’s a good business opportunity for a New-Memrise app/service. Make it ad based for free and paid for turning off ads. Lock down misuse of points created as well as a bonus. And target schools for content creation.

(Petr R Skupad8) #202

Why any specific targetong for content creation? The midel as is, is produsing awesome content.

It is rather the usability of that content in newly arriving architecture, which is the problem.

(𝓛ı𝕥𝕥lꦌ ꞗɪᴙᶑ ... 𝓑ⅈ𝘨 𝓦ᵒʳ𝔩̲ꝺ̲) #203

The problem with targeting schools is going to be censorship – can’t teach just anything, which means courses would have to be vetted carefully; it might shut down the average-joe course creator deal Memrise had going on. You can have someone vet courses, naturally, but depending on how active the user base was the workload could be quite substantial there, leaving less time for things like… oh, I don’t know, making an app that actually works and doesn’t break every two minutes, lol (ah, Memrise how we love you…).

Have to admit though, in general you sound like you know what you’re talking on. Have seen a lot of your posts today and most of them were logical and concise. As I’ve said to others interested in a new platform, should anything get underway I am available and interested in assisting.

(khx333) #204

Yes vetting would take time and let’s say how many would know dirty words in Tamil… The usual option for most web services is to provide a feedback link, if there’s a lot of activity via that link it would inform a channel manager/admin that something is fishy and looking into and possibly flagging it as inactive until the owner responds.

(𝓛ı𝕥𝕥lꦌ ꞗɪᴙᶑ ... 𝓑ⅈ𝘨 𝓦ᵒʳ𝔩̲ꝺ̲) #205

Shaky shaky. Going on the schools route would probably mean that all courses needed thorough corroboration to make sure there are… no dirty words in Tamil : ) or the like. It’s also a little restrictive. It would easily be possible to have a more open course creation community, as original Memrise model, supporting a secondary, more tightly controlled set of courses for a more limited target audience (ie. schools, as you mentioned). This may allow to target adult learners and a slightly younger audience separately, catering to each as necessary (but again, only if you did want to do something like targeting schools – I would’ve thought it best to start with a wider audience and narrow down to such specific needs (to make something modular, that’s to say) rather than the other way around. Long run, it’s easier to add specificity than it is to broaden your scope – just look at Memrise’s example… They limited themselves initially and are regretting it now, when they seem to’ve changed their mind about their business plans).

edit: Though this does suggest there’s call for the school targeting, as you said… Wouldn’t even be that hard to do, if teachers intended to make their own courses for their own students, too.