KOREAN font on DECKS is different from MEMRISE and bad for learning

You see, in the red cirlce it is not easy to see if it is “훙” or “흥”

The font used on Memrise is much better. It would be great if this could be applied to DECKS
Memrise

I just also postet this in the Decks feedback section of the forum.

You see, in the red cirlce it is not easy to see if it is “훙” or “흥”
Decks

The font used on Memrise is much better. It would be great if this could be applied to DECKS
Memrise

[edited by forum leader] Merged from other topic as this is a double. Your first post you had already correctly posted in ‘feedback’. Thanks.

Clarity is important for me too. For a native speaker/reader the difference is easy to see, and even if not, they will can easily guess based on context. But for a learner clarity is very important.

Today I checked. And I got a very clear lettertype.

I was doing:

• REVIEW after a wrong answer and LEARN at presenting the word for the first time.
  • in CHROME
  • on WINDOWS 10.

Was your situation by any chance different? Do you have the same result using a different browser/test mode (or even a different OS)?

My PC setup is:

• windows 10
  • chrome / edge / firefox
  • learning / review session
    –> results are still negative for DECKS, but positive for MEMRISE

I also checked my android phone:

• habt browser / standard android browser
    –> results are positive for DECKS

Finally I figured out the problem and could resolve it :grinning:

It seems like on DECKS a different font class is used for Hangel.

Therefore the font type has to be change in the settings of each browser.

“Batang” is the annoying one, “Malgun Gothic” is the clear on.

Firefox

Chrome

3 Likes

Thanks for your solution!

It’s easy to understand that if the font setting in the browser makes a difference in which font is shown.
I still wonder why Memrise is different from Decks.

Because I didn’t have the problem - apparently the default settings are at least for some users suitable.

Then again, had you changed your font settings in the past by any chance? I think the screenshot from Chrome is from an extra Chrome plug in. Correct?

For the record, font settings in Chrome can be found under:
Settings -> Appearance -> Customize Fonts.
If the user wants to set a font for a specific language, there is an Advanced option under Customize Fonts. This will take the user to page to install a plug in.

I never changed the font settings on purpose. Surprisingly 3 browsers (chrome, firefox, edge) had that issue. Maybe some other software changed the system settings which then affected all browsers? I am afraid we will never find out ^^

Exactly, in Chrome when trying to go to advanced settings you get the information to add an plug-in. Only with this plug-in language-specific font settings can be accessed.

Oh, really! Weird, but good that it is solved now.