Memrise has massively grown since we first started out in 2010, and many of you have been with us since the beginning. Our website was born as a crowdsourced learning platform, a place where people could create and share flashcard decks to memorise almost anything. As we grew, so did our love and dedication to languages.
A couple of years ago we decided to focus solely on developing Memrise as a language learning product, a focus that was also needed to help our business grow and thrive. To fulfil this purpose, we became fully invested in developing and nurturing our apps, deprioritising development of the crowdsourced learning platform.
This year we've decided to give this side of Memrise its own, well-deserved home, a place where it can thrive with the nurturing help of the community that has kept it alive. This place is Decks, by Memrise. Investing in the creation of this sister website is the best way for us to ensure that we can support community-created courses forever.
In mid-March, all community-created courses will move to Decks. There will be a transition period before we completely separate the two sites, giving everyone enough time to get acquainted with the new environment. The most important thing for you to know, however, is that everything will work almost exactly the same.
Effectively, the creation of this sister website means that two products will exist under the Memrise brand, Memrise and Decks. We know that you will have many questions. To that effect, we’re preparing a more extensive FAQ in this forum that will hopefully answer all of them, but here is an overview that should address some of your biggest concerns:
- Your login details for Memrise will work for Decks.
- You’ll be able to learn both on Memrise and Decks. Memrise will exclusively house our official language courses, all other courses will live in Decks.
- Your learning progress will be migrated to Decks as well. This includes course progress, points, leaderboard positions and streak.
- Decks will work almost the same way as Memrise. For a full list of features, head here.
- The way you create courses will be the same as before. However, please note that moving forward, creating courses will only be possible in Decks.
- Decks will be available as a mobile-friendly website.
- All community-created courses will be removed from the Memrise app in mid-March.
- Decks will be free to use.
We’re in the process of informing all course creators and learners of community-created courses about these changes, and we will update this forum when Decks is live and ready for you to try it out. In the meantime, we’ll keep an eye on this thread to answer any questions!