Goodbye Ziggy

(Allan Badassery) #61

i lived off of those terrible puns. when they got rid of them i was crippled forever

… what

(Allan Badassery) #62

hang on they got rid of streaks?

((ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧) #63

So Ziggy is gone. Big deal. I guess i wasnt much of a fan anyway. But why did people hate him so much? Sure the character design of Ziggy wasnt great. But what will come next? Dont call me a hypocrite but i guess he was OK. But coming back to my point. Wont Memrise try to come up with yet another “child friendly” thing. Personally i prefer the old badges, and will Memrise ever come back to them. i dont think so. And what happened to the old simple gardening theme?

Secondly. What will become of a new theme now? Are they going to change it because ziggy wasnt a big success? or are they going to keep the space theme in memory of Ziggy? So for the last time everyone Say goodbye to our mascot, Ziggy hope we get a better alternative

• New Badges
  • The Old Ones
  • A Ziggy Pun

0 voters

So what do you think our future ziggy should be? At 10 Puns votes i will say a horribly bad pun :wink:
ML

(Iwfl) #65

Hi TobyDoodler,
Well, the streak days are still counted per course, but they don’t have any recognisable effect whatsoever. It’s just a number- If it goes back to 0 then nothing happens at all, if it raises then nothing happens either.

For me, this has broken the motivation to keep at it every day.

(☄✨MemriseMasterSherwi✨☄) #66

Say hello to MEMTOM (Atom) that would be a level one.
What I want to say is that the Ziggy thing and the names thing could join,

And this is MEMGNET (magnet) for perhaps level 12 or 13
I would like to see others designs for mascots, and if there are good ideas they can be abolished as the mascot of memrise( although we need the approval of The Rickest Rick, @MemriseMatty)

MemriseMasterSherwi

(Ian) #67

I think that Memrise is making available an excellent online flash-card application for which learners are not obliged to pay anything.

As an option, learners have the opportunity to pay for access to stats on their performance - but that’s only an option.

So, I don’t really understand any of the ongoing negative commentary, and I think Memrise is providing an excellent resource to learners worldwide. Just my 2 cents, as the Americans would say.

(Scones24) #68

Well, that’s the whole point. Paying members were very unhappy. And when you sell stuff, you don’t want to upset your customers (or at least you shouldn’t… even if it took Memrise 1 year to realize it).

(khx333) #69

The other issue was that Memrise spent a lot of time tinkering on Ziggy while the application needed bug fixing and adding new features. There’s still a lot of work they need to do, such as iOS sync bugs, and fix the statistics as most of the stats do not make sense for a learning point of view.

And yes, as a paid customer I rather see bugs fixed and new features implemented.

(Hombre_sin_nombre) #70

Ziggy creature is just plain stupid, that’s all. Many Memrise users already pointed its flaws, interestingly that some people still don’t understand.

Have you seen the third part of the Diehard movie? It’s where John McClane going into Harlem with a tablet “I hate n…s”. In some ways Memrise’s Ziggy is the same thing because learning languages in particular countries have negative connotation. Yep, if you are speaking another language in some places is kind of alien and weird - and not in a funny way. By making an alien as a mascot of the site they shot themselves in the foot.

By and large those geniuses who invented Ziggy should be fired and permanently banished from profession (just kidding).

(DW7) #71

Hi @neoncube, is it the same as this one?

(Allan Badassery) #72

oh ok. thanks, i was kind of confused

(BlackParis) #73

I’ll miss my Ziggy :cry:

(☄✨MemriseMasterSherwi✨☄) #74

I never expected Darth Vader to say that:

You should say:

MemriseMasterSherwi

(Neoncube) #75

Hi @DW7 :slight_smile:

The one that you linked to may work, but I was thinking of this one, which I think should be easier to get up and running:

There are some instructions there, but let me know if you run into any difficulties :slight_smile:

((ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧) #77

Who else is confused by this???

((ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧) #78

By the way. i DID suggest this to @MemriseMatty and he said he might add it. how wrong i was to believe him…

(the Oscar who’s is a boss ) #79

@Ceid yes that would be brilliant as I would be able to access memwise on the go

((ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧) #80

hes not darth vader anymore. Hes had an improvement :smile:. Its… RICK BTW @ivorbcn. @MemriseMatty knows you have joined the Rick side :wink:

(BlackParis) #81

Rick is better, anyway I wanted to have pickle rick . Seems imposible to adjust the photo :sweat_smile:

(Pumpkin Cactus) #82

I didn’t know about the poll as I don’t normally look at the website. I am disappointed as I liked Ziggy.