Diaspora Experiences Learning Would-have-been Mother Tongue as Adult

Hello,

I’m looking to discover a bit more about the experiences of diaspora learning the language their parents never taught them or spoke with them. I’m curious to hear about experiences within the communities, challenge of learning the would-have-been mother tongue in comparison to other languages (with which one shares less of an emotional connection perhaps).

Thanks

1 Like

No-one else replied? I was hoping to read answers to this!

I am somewhat in the category you describe. Child of immigrants, barely taught their language. As a result, missed out most importantly on real conversations with older relatives, who are all passed now. They could speak english, but it wasn’t the same.
Still, trying to learn the language now. No-one to practice with - the rest of my generation wants to speak english anyway, my parents speak english to us, as they always have.

Challenges attempting to learn when younger - some particular parents laughed at their children’s efforts, perhaps they didn’t mean to be mean, but it didn’t feel good!

There were others, but i’m hoping someone else sees this and adds so it’s not just me rambling on.

haha, yes! I’m so surprised you’re the first to respond. I thought there would be more traumatised people like us. Is it possible for me to e-mail you and ask you some questions? Or perhaps you are happy to even post them here?

Thanks for your response!