Crowdsourced French--Hindi Course

Bonjour! I’m creating a crowsourced Hindi course for French speakers. I’ve got ~ 5000 Russian-English sentences (from https://ankiweb[dot]net/shared/info/957909609 ) which I intend to translate to French-Hindi with help from you guys. After the translation is complete, I will create the course and put the link to the course here.

Who can contribute?
If you are a native speaker of Hindi or French, and you also speak English (or Russian) — you can contribute!
You can translate the sentences from English to Hindi or French or both. The course will use Text-to-Speech (TTS) audio for now, but native speakers of Hindi can volunteer to record some sentences in their voice. Since the course is intended for French speakers to learn Hindi, we do not need French audio.

How can you contribute?

1. Go to the Google Sheets document at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bCleRq7J9S7nIqwDku5kwLiD9IHwrymx5daVk5t6vsI/edit#gid=0
    You do not need a Google account to edit the sheet.

2. The 4500 sentences have been divided into 45 sheets, each containing 100 sentences.
    Look at the bottom of the page, and you will see the sheets like this:

Click on any of them to open the sheet of your choice.

3. You can translate any number of untranslated sentences from those sheets to the language of your choice (French/Hindi). You don’t have to translate all at the same time; translate any number of them whenever you find time. Keep in mind, this is voluntary work — you are not compelled to do the translations, neither are you going to get paid for it.

4. Once you are determined to volunteer to help others to learn, start translating.

• To translate to French, replace the Russian text in Column A with the French translation of the English text (of Column B).
  • Since a sentence can be said in more than one way, the Memrise Course will accept multiple answers in Hindi. So, to translate to Hindi, add your translation(s) of the English text (of Column B) to columns C, D, E, and so on.
  • Do not edit Column B; keep it intact.

General instructions and answers to FAQs:

• Maintain proper spellings and grammar when you translate.
  • Though you can use mobile apps of Google Sheets, it is recommended that you use a PC to translate.
  • The translations don’t have to be literal; feel free to use local idioms and phrases to translate.
  • If you need any aid in translation, you can ask fellow contributers here on this thread.
    You will need an account on memrise[dot]com and community[dot]memrise[dot]com to participate in this discussion.
  • If you wish to contribute Hindi audio to the course: Record audio at vocaroo[dot]com, copy the link to your recorded audio, and reply here with sheet number and sentence number corresponding to the sentence. We will use the term address [of a sentence] to denote sheet number and sentence number.
    For instance, if you have recorded your voice for sentence #20 from the sheet 2001-2100, reply here with the link to your audio and the corresponding address, which would be #20 of 2001-2100. You don’t have to specify the column to which the audio of the (Hindi) sentence belongs.
  • :warning: Do not change the address of sentences.

Credits and privacy:
You can wish to stay anonymous or get credited by your name or even username of your choice (not necessarily your username here) for your contribution to the course. Just ask me here on this thread how you would like to get credited; else, I will never know who contributed, and you will remain anonymous.

If you do not wish to upload your voice online to Vocaroo for privacy reasons, and yet wish to contribute audio for the course, send your audio on Telegram to me (I’m on Telegram with the same username as here). After the audio is uploaded to the course, I will delete the audio-message for both of us.

हिन्दी अनुवाद करने वालों के लिए कुछ विशेष निर्देश :–

• ध्यान दें कि एक ही पंक्ति के एक से अधिक अनुवाद वैध होंगे। आपको उन्हें कॉलम C, D, E, इत्यादि में लिखने हैं।
  • यदि आप पाएँ कि किसी अन्य द्वारा किये गए अनुवाद में कुछ गलती है (जैसे कि अशुद्ध वर्तनी, व्याकरणिक त्रुटी), तो उसे सुधार कर लें। त्रुटी न होने पर उस वाक्य में हाथ न लगाएँ।
  • मान लीजिये कि कॉलम C में एक वाक्य पहले से ही मौजूद है और सही है परन्तु आप किसी और प्रकार से उसी वाक्य को अभिव्यक्त करना चाहते हैं, तो कॉलम D में अपना अनुवाद जोड़ दें। C को न छुएँ।
  • एक ही वाक्य के दो, अथवा दो से अधिक, वाक्यांशों को उलट-पलट कर लिखने से उन्हें सम्पूर्ण अलग वाक्य मान लिया जायेगा। और उन वाक्यों को अलग कॉलमों में लिखने होंगे।
    उदहारण हेतु, वाक्य #46 of 301-400 (जो कि है “We won’t know whether we can do it or not unless we try.”) को निम्नलिखित प्रकार अनुवादित किया जा सकता है :–
    १) हम तब तक नहीं जानेंगे हम कर सकते हैं कि नहीं जब तक हम प्रयास न करें।
    २) जब तक हम प्रयास न करें, हम तब तक नहीं जानेंगे हम कर सकते हैं कि नहीं।
    ३) हम तब तक नहीं जानेंगे हम कर सकते हैं कि नहीं जब तक हम कोशिश न करें।
    ४) जब तक हम कोशिश न करें, हम तब तक नहीं जानेंगे हम कर सकते हैं कि नहीं।
    ५) हम तब तक नहीं जानेंगे हम कर सकते हैं कि नहीं जब तक हम प्रयास ना करें।
    ६) जब तक हम प्रयास ना करें, हम तब तक नहीं जानेंगे हम कर सकते हैं कि नहीं।
    ७) हम तब तक नहीं जानेंगे हम कर सकते हैं कि नहीं जब तक हम कोशिश ना करें।
    ८) जब तक हम कोशिश ना करें, हम तब तक नहीं जानेंगे हम कर सकते हैं कि नहीं।
    :white_check_mark: यह सभी वाक्य वैध हैं और अलग-अलग कॉलम में होने हैं। उन्हें C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J में लिखें।

Just in case you have stumbled upon this page and don’t wish to contribute: I moderate a network of language-learning chats on Telegram called ‘Polyglossia Network’.
Every month 1700+ people talk to native speakers and improve their proficiency in languages they learn. Come, join us in improving your target-language or just join to chill with us. Look for @polyglossia_bot on Telegram. :slightly_smiling_face:

Since there is a limitation on the number of hyperlinks that can be put on the post, here are the relevant clickable links.
Original source of sentences: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/957909609
Record audio at: vocaroo.com