[Course Forum] Duolingo Irish, by milero

irish
course-forum
(Anoulipo) #104

Two small issues:

1. I kept getting caught out at Level 99 by “your ring”, “bhur bhfáinne”; the practice in the rest of the course is to indicate plural when intended. It’s not done at Level 99 for a good reason, as that is a review of eclipsis; but when it comes up in review one misses that context. So I changed it to “your (pl) ring” in the database. Please confirm this is OK.

2. Level 101: “Nár mhaith leis rud ar bith?” is translated as “Wouldn’t you like anything?” But I can’t figure out why it’s “leis” and not “leat”. Is this an idiom? If not I’ll be happy to change it.

Thanks -

0 Likes

(Heathermagoo) #105

Hi, anoulipo,

1. Yes, much clearer as “your (pl) ring”. Thanks for changing it.

2. Yes, again. It should be “Wouldn’t he like anything?” Thanks for catching it. I went ahead and changed it.

The audio for both is from forvo. The speaker is BridEllis. She’s done many, many useful recordings on forvo and matches the duolingo pronunciation fairly closely.

0 Likes

(Heathermagoo) #106

Memrise is moving the community-created courses to a Memrise product called Decks. From what I’ve read the desktop implementation will be underway from now till the end of April, the mobile app coming at a later unannounced date (current Memrise mobile app in place till then). Links below if you haven’t read up on it yet.

I don’t know what to expect from the transition, but my goal will be to keep the Irish course useful and intact. Please report issues as you encounter them.

Even at the point when ofthefay began the Memrise Irish course in support of Duolingo Irish, Memrise was already a little clunky (affectionate observation; not a criticism) Still,since Memrise allowed sound files, and because, at that time, the crying need of the Duolingo Irish course was audio, it was a good match. And maybe Decks will turn out to be the more agile, more up-to-date, more elegant Memrise of my dreams. At some future point, when Duolingo Irish Tree 2 is unveiled, it will be worth evaluating whether Memrise/Decks its still the best review cards choice…

Heather

https://www.memrise.com/decks-by-memrise/

0 Likes

(Heathermagoo) #107

The Decks beta Duolingo Irish course is now at:

I just clicked “login to Memrise” at the top of the page and I was logged in. So far I haven’t encountered any problems.

The Duolingo Irish course is also still available on the Memrise site. It will be removed at the end of April.

Heather

You probably received the message from Memrise this morning. If not here it is:

"Hi,

Today we are announcing that the Decks by Memrise website is live!

Here is a quick recap of what will happen over the next few months:

• Decks is part of the Memrise brand, we are just giving all community-created courses their new, well-deserved home.
  • Memrise will only house our official language courses after the move.
  • Your login details for Memrise will work for Decks.
  • You won’t lose any of your learning progress on community-created courses, it will be migrated to Decks. This includes words learned, points, leaderboard positions, and streak.
  • The Decks website will be in beta until the end of April
  • At the end of April, all community-created courses will be removed from the Memrise website.
  • The Decks mobile app will launch later this year. In the meantime, you can continue learning community-created courses in the Memrise mobile app.

If you haven’t heard about this before and you’re feeling a bit lost, don’t worry. Head over here to read all about it.

Now’s the time for you to jump over to Decks and give it a try. We hope you’ll find the new home of community-created courses as exciting as we do.

Best wishes,

Ed,
Co-founder and CEO"

0 Likes