[Course Forum] 8,000+ Most Common Swedish Words - part 1

course-forum

(Ville Sundberg) #81

No worries!

On level 73, dess is missing its other meaning its.

Also, vare sig is missing the meaning neither. It’s currently either, whether; it would seem that neither is a more common meaning than either but I’m not completely sure. Don’t know which level it’s on!

(Ville Sundberg) #82

Ah - actually dess seems more complicated than that. Kelly has dess on level 1 as a pronoun and on level 73 as an adverb. Svensk ordbok says that the pronoun meaning is:

1. until then / by that time / etc
  2. its

The adverb meaning is desto as in ju mer desto bättre.

https://svenska.se/so/?id=08994&ref=lnr134243

(Amanda Norrsken) #83

Hi Ville,

I happened to notice this part of the post again recently and I have remembered why I added the phrases with “sämre” and “bättre” to the examples.

You are correct to say that nouns are easy to learn, but what the Kelly database doesn’t include as separate words are the comparative and superlative forms of adjectives, which, in some cases - “sämre” and “bättre” being cases in point - are quite different from the regular adjective, so I have tried to “smuggle” them in as examples, so that they are at least seen via other words.

Just wanted to let you know why I added those particular examples.

I have also started removing examples from over-long definitions in places, but it is a bit of a random process. But I am aware that some definitions are too long and am working on weeding them out as I review and so on.

Hope this helps,

Amanda

(Ville Sundberg) #84

That makes sense. Thanks Amanda!