[Course Forum] 5000 Important words in Greek

And to be honest, the continuing downfall of Memrise makes me wonder if I should start working on something like the 2015 version of Memrise, with improved content creation, maintenance, sharing as the number one point of focus.

It’s a shame as there’s so much hard work gone into creating a course like this. The pronunciations really make this one as it’s great for shadowing. I found your link on the other thread. Thanks for that!

Hi – I noticed a discrepancy between the audio clip’s pronunciation and the written card for “lute,” “λάουτο” [sic]. In fact, the correct stress I’ve found in dictionaries matches the audio version, “λαούτο.” One source even gave a couple of alternative versions, all with the same stress: λαβούτο, λαγούτο.

Another little buggy thing: “Cretan” requires the user to type “ο κρητικός,” with the article preceding the noun.

And last, for now – there seem to be a few words like “κρεαπώλης” [sic] where the speaker clearly pronounces “κρεο-” rather than “κρεα-,” although the card reads “κρεα-.” If these are actually misspelled, as I believe, could they also be corrected?

This is my first post on the forum; please let me know if I’ve breached any protocols or needed to check somehow for needless duplication here. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay and thanks a lot for the reports; I’ve sorted your issues.

1 Like

The 2 English words may well be synonymous in certain contexts (in AE and/or BE), but πεζοδρόμιο and πλακόστρωτο don’t appear to be. The former being any kind of pedestrian path (not sure if it necessarily needs to be roadside), while the latter is any paved surface. At least that’s my understanding after breaking down the words and looking at pictures on google.

1 Like

Hi – Noticed that “to remember” only permits θυμάμαι in response; θυμούμαι is not permitted as an alternative.
Best, Paul

1 Like

It is now :wink:

1 Like

Another alternate form not (yet) accepted: ξυπνώ for ξυπνάω…

1 Like

Taken care of.

1 Like

I’ve uploaded a new version of the worksheet for those interested in having it. I’ve complete a level and I’m in the process of adding a new level as well as straightening out the level numbering in the worksheet to correspond with what actually is online at the present time.

1 Like