I’m happy to announce the launch of mylittlewordland.com, a site for learning and reviewing foreign language vocabulary!
I’m currently cloning all public community courses from Memrise to My Little Word Land. This is a work in progress, but about 40,000 courses so far have been uploaded.
If your course is private, it will not be automatically cloned, and you’ll need to export it via Eltaurus’ CourseDump2022 script.
My Little Word Land focuses on:
- User-created vocabulary lists
- Web only (no mobile apps)
The site features a spaced repetition system that works as follows:
- When you successfully review a word, the system records how long you’ve remembered that word for.
- For example, let’s say you learn a word in the morning and then log in and review it 8 hours later. The system will record that you’ve successfully remembered the word for 8 hours.
- When more time has passed than twice the time that you’ve successfully remembered a word, the system has you review the word again.
- For example, if more than 16 hours have passed for the word that you learned in the first example, you’ll be prompted to review it again. (Because 8 * 2 = 16).
The beauty of this system is that it works well no matter what time you log in to review your vocabulary. Continuing with the above example, let’s say that you successfully reviewed a word 8 hours after you learned it, but then you don’t log in to review your vocabulary for 2 days. If you then successfully review the word, the system will record you as having successfully remembered it for 2 days and won’t have you review it again for another 4 days! Did you go on vacation for 2 weeks but still remember your vocabulary? Great, the system won’t prompt you again for 4 weeks!
If you’re interested, please sign up and create a vocabulary list or give one of the existing ones a try!
If you run into bugs or have anything you’d like to discuss, the My Little Word Land forum can be found at http://forum.mylittlewordland.com
Also, thank you to @BenWhately for graciously allowing me to advertise my site on these forums
Thanks, and happy learning!